October 8, 2011

In Sega, Ghana, I am...

1) First and foremost a Blefono "White". I kept hearing the village kids call out to me "blefono, blefono", including a girl so tiny I was surprised she could even talk at all! I thought, "surely, THIS can't be the first word out of her mouth!" Children either run away from me in fear, or follow me around and try to touch my skin to see if my color rubs off on them. Talk about feeling like the odd one out!
This is one example of the followers that stick around, even when I'm inside

Little Mr. Sunshine & Little Ms. Shy
 2) Surprisingly good at French! I mean, I was sitting in on a class for 11 or 12 year olds, so how unsmart could I be, right? Let's just say, they were thankful to have me (whispering answers). Hm, which reminds me, I have homework to do.
Maybe the kids can return the favor and help me out with this
3) Kaki. The locals give any newcomer a local Dangme` nickname, usually after the day of the week you were born, or the order in which you joined your family. In my case, being the firstborn and female, Michael/Ka-ti dubbed me Ka-ki. Which makes my sister, the second born, Di-de`.

4) Being woken up by a rooster outside my window every morning, as early as 3am. Enough said.
The scene of the crime
5) Running every morning. We'll see how long this running phase actually lasts, but for now, it's fun and it's a healthy way to meet the locals and chat with the kids who are walking to school. Especially since I'm already up so early thanks to Rooster, my next door neighbor.
Jumpa & Sodo & I, after breaking out in a sweat
6) Teaching a student with recall difficulty. So if anyone has any tips or tricks to help with studying and memorizing, please do share. Will be trying out everything with her till we find a strategy that works.

7) Probably losing weight. And NOT because of my morning runs. You see, the local dishes certainly do have some interesting flavors (like peanut soup, yam, etc), but so many of them heavily feature fish, which I am not a big fan of (and that's an understatement).
Cooked bananas + plantain sauce with pepper & fish
8) Undergoing therapy. Am loving the wind!!! It's so relaxing and refreshing. Zero pollution. I had the best office in the world, right under the shade of a tree, in the middle of a field, just me and my laptop. Working was truly a pleasure.

9) Actually Ghanaian, believe it or not! And this is according to Ghanaians. Strictly due to my hair of course. I cracked up laughing when women in the market pointed at my hair and called it Indomie.
I have microwavable hair, apparently!
10) HAVING A BLAST!

Enjoyed today with Pat, the Ghanaian equivalent of 25 year old me

5 comments:

  1. ya3ni guessOctober 09, 2011

    i love you, habla.

    point 6- try singing

    and dimz oh dimz...shut up and eat the fish.

    if all else fails--rooster for lunch,, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaaaaaa! thanks for the laugh, ya MAMA inti!!!
    mmm, what I wouldn't give for some coq au vin on the plat du jour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and before you read this the wrong way, excuse the french!

    What I wouldn't give for some lubneh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dima!!! I'm so proud of you. I miss you so much and i love you. Ntebhe 3a 7alik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyya!!! right back at you nana!!!

    ReplyDelete