March 5, 2012

Sam's Story

I was born at Bedeku-Ada on the 8th day of December 1992 and grew up to the age of five only to know that my father died when I was two years old. At the age of five, my uncle who was a doctor and was living in Accra, asked my mother to allow me to go and stay with him in Adenta. My mother agreed and I went with him.

Life with my uncle in Adenta seemed very pleasing and comfortable to me as I started my kindergarten and basic education at Immanuel Presby School in Madina. I had no problem with my education and was very happy because my uncle promised to provide me with education up to the university when he realized I was doing well in my academics. My uncle passed away when I was in class six and there, the sad part of my life full of difficulties and challenges began.

During and after the funeral of my uncle, the family and his wife had a conflict and so after we went back from Ada to Adenta his wife told us to leave the house. My sister who was with me and Ernest in the house had to go and stay with her friend while Ernest and I went to stay with our eldest brother at Abokobi.

Life with my brother at Abokobi was very difficult since he had no good job and was having a family with Ernest and I to cater for. He was a driver of another person’s vehicle and at times the vehicle would get spoilt for about two to three weeks still at repairs. During that time, life was very difficult that at times even what to eat was a problem. He was not able to afford my education and so I didn’t have an effective education. Many in my school started seeing me as a truant and late comer since I had to depend on the free bus for students from the government before I could make it to school. Things moved from bad to worse when my brother lost his job. At times, I had to go and come back from school with an empty stomach. Sometimes, if my brother is not back from town, I had to go to the bush in search of mangoes to eat as I waited for him. Considering this, I had to contact my elder brothers who were at Ada for support. God willing, they gave something to our sister who brought it to us. Also, Ernest who had completed Junior High School at that time joined my brother’s friend who was a mason and went to work with him. From these, though they couldn’t afford my fees, we had something to live on. At least we had something to eat.
During these challenges, I put my hope in God and prayed to Him to let me complete my J.H.S. education. Things rather went opposite my prayer when I was sacked from school to go and bring my student fees. But He who answers the prayers of His children at the right time answered my prayer after about a week when I was in the house. One of my mates who was at Abokobi with me came and told me that our J.H.S. headmistress had personally paid my fees to the school. I was told that I should come back to the school. Through that and the grace of He who is the good shepherd, I was able to complete my J.H.S.  education. Before I wrote my B.E.C.E. due to lack of counseling from my family, I had to choose the schools on my own. When the B.E.C.E. results came, I passed and had placement at Adonten Senior High at Aburi. Considering the problem we were facing at Abokobi, my brothers decided that I should rather have my secondary education at Ada.
We went to Ada senior high for placement and I was asked to go for my testimonial in addition to a transfer from the education office. We did all these only to realize at the last moment that the school was not offering business. My going to Astech and back to Adonten was to no avail when I noticed placement in that year was over. My placement at Adonten had been given to another person. I was filled with sorrow because I had to stay in the house for a year without going to school, but all that was God’s plan for me. The next year when the 2010 J.H.S. graduates were going for placement, I went to the education office for mine. There, I was told for a second time that I didn’t come on time and so I should wait for another year. Considering how prayerful I was to God about my going to school and that situation, I was filled with sorrow and weeped to him bitterly.
My brothers, who were intelligent but due to lack of support couldn’t further up their education, didn’t want David, Ernest and I to be like them.  They didn't want me to stay in the house for two years without schooling. This is how we got to Anmchara and even still there are many challenges. My brother Gabriel Sabbah has been like an angel God has given us.

Although he is living with his wife and four children, who are all schooling, he manages to give us something for food, clothes and our education from the little income he makes. The car he is using for work is for our cousin and so the income he makes in addition to David’s monthly salary alone cannot satisfy his family, our mother and us. Due to this, we have to engage ourselves in farming in order to get something to pay for our fees and for our necessities.
Considering the condition though, what to eat now is not a problem by God’s grace. But at times, we need to quit school and go to the farm to work in order to afford our fees and remain in school. Also walking in and out to school makes me feel very tired that I find it difficult to wake up early.

This is my story till date. However, I know that the past is in the past, so I will now concentrate on the future because I have given my life to God. His word makes it known to us that He makes a way where there is no way. He also tells us that there is time for everything and that He knows what is right for us. He knows Anmchara is better for me than any other school, that is why I am here. I also know since there is a time for everything, my time will also come and that I have a better life to live in Him.
Written by Samuel Addy Sabbah

5 comments:

  1. Dear Sam,

    The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.

    Keep walking with the Lord

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Sam, I must admit, it was lovely meeting your family! I felt honored to be in their presence - was really touched by their support and prayers. Can't wait to see the positive consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, I don't know you but I do know you're pretty incredible. I just loved reading your story. You are so smart and intelligent (I can tell from your writing). The way you never gave up hope and faith in God was such an inspiration. It left me with one thing to say, I have so much respect and admiration for someone half a globe away! Also you have some amazing big brothers! Gabriel and David sound like incredible men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sam,

    I was reading your story with a tear rolling over my smile... It makes me sad to know how much you had to suffer through your entire life to be where you are right now. However, your hopefulness feels like a breeze of fresh air filled with life! Keep those hopes high, they will take you to all the places you've ever dreamed of. Anything can happen with enough patience and persistence, so keep going, never stop, and hold on to that wonderful positivity you have in you. You're an amazing person, and I hope you know that already. I truly wish you the best things in life, and I hope we'll cross paths one day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Want to sincerely thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. Its been 9 years now and by God's grace, completed my first degree 4 years ago, working as an Auditor and blessed with a lovely wife and a baby boy.

    Much grateful Dima.

    From Sam.

    ReplyDelete