March 23, 2012

Frank's Story



I am Tetteh Frank. I am a 17 year old boy who happens to attend school at Anmchara Senior High School in the Dangme East District of Accra, Ghana. Actually I want to share some of the hardships I faced as a young boy.

To start with, I was born in a small village called Agorkpo in the Dangme East District of Greater Accra in Ghana. I was born to one Madam Doris Hernu and Master Wisdom Tekper. As a mother of two, my mother as I was told, disowned me 6 months after I was born. All evidence says I was cared for by my lovely grandmother who happens to be deaf. My father was working at the District Hospital so he had to go and gather some money because he was a mere gateman at that time. He was not given enough money so it took the intervention of my auntie to assist my father in taking care of me .


My auntie was not having the time to stay by my side because she was working at the city so she tried her possible best to visit my grandmother every weekend to ensure that we are doing well. I stayed with my grandmother from the year 1995 to 2000 when my auntie had to take me to the city in Accra. I continued my education at a school called Seed and Harvest Academy. I was admitted to primary two for that matter.


All this time I thought my auntie was my real mother because she was with me at the time my mother was away. As time went on my auntie had been advising me to learn hard and take my education seriously. I listened to the advice she had given me because she was my mother as I took it. One day as my auntie was having her morning devotion around 4:30, she called me to join her in prayers. Immediately after the prayers she said she would like to have a word with me. Before she started, she shed tears because it was very difficult to say the words she wanted to say. She then started by narrating who my mother was and the reasons why she left me at that tender age. She then told me that my mother is a type who doesn’t like working. For that matter, even after she was addressed for not doing the right thing, she still decided to leave our house.  

Later after my auntie finished the discussion, I burst into bitter tears because my mother was alive and did not make any effort to care for me. I cried for almost a week and nothing could be done about it. I was pampered and decided not to eat anything.  I was very furious and promised to do everything I could to please my grandmother and my auntie for the good care they gave me.


As I grew a little older, my father thought it wise to have me attend Anmchara Senior High School and be closer to him. I am very grateful to all those who took the trouble upon themselves to make me who I am today.


2 comments:

  1. Wow Frank what a story! I can't even imagine how you felt when you found out about your mother. Don't worry, I'm sure you've already made your auntie, father, and grandmother very proud indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, always remember that giving birth to a child is not what makes a mother. The women who have taken care of you when you most needed it, and who have provided for you and loved you unconditionally are your real mothers. Your Grandmother and your aunt are your real mothers. I hope that you will always keep them, and your father very proud.
    I wish you all the best now and in the years to follow, and i hope that one day all your dreams will come true.

    ReplyDelete